Hi guys, I’m back! Hurray! *insert cheerful confetti-throwing here* And not only am I back but I have a brand new reading challenge for you. One of my bookish New Year’s resolutions, which I don’t think I’ve shared with you here on the blog, was to try and step out of my comfort zone and read books and genres which I don’t know much about or ones I haven’t really tried before. And I think this challenge would be perfect for this purpose. I’ve been thinking about hosting this event for months but with travelling, writing my dissertation and preparing for exams, I’ve never really had enough time to actually do it. But since – apart from my two final exams at the end of this month – things are finally starting to calm down a bit and since so many of you loved the idea when I mentioned it on Twitter, I decided to go ahead and make it an official reading challenge.
What is it about?
The aim of this challenge is to read all ten books from Richard and Judy’s list of summer book club titles between 1 June and 31 August. (If you’re not from the UK and/or haven’t heard of Richard and Judy, you’ll find more information here) The books on the list are:
Tigers in Red Weather – Liza Klaussmann
The Age of Miracles – Karen Thompson Walker
Close My Eyes – Sophie McKenzie
This is How It Ends – Kathleen MacMahon
Natural Causes – James Oswald
The Light Between Oceans – M. L. Stedman
The Sea Change – Joanna Rossiter
The Universe Versus Alex Woods – Gavin Extence
The Girl Who Fell From the Sky – Simon Mawer
The Sea Sisters – Lucy Clarke
- The challenge, as mentioned above, runs from 1 June to 31 August, 2013.
- You don’t have to be a blogger in order to sign up, anyone can join us. The more the merrier! 🙂
- To make it as much of a low-pressure event as possible, you can read the books in any order you like and as fast or slow as you can, it’s all up to you. There won’t be any challenges to complete, it’s all about reading, having fun and interacting with other readers. Which brings me to my next point.
- If you’re on Twitter, make sure to use the #richardandjudy hashtag whenever you post something related to the challenge or the books on the list so that we can all see what you’re up to, discuss what everyone thinks of certain books and encourage each other. If you want to follow or join the discussion, you can go to our Richard and Judy chat room at http://tweetchat.com/room/richardandjudy
- There will be a monthly wrap-up post at the end of June, July and August here on the blog where you can discuss the books and post a link to all your reviews.
And that’s it, as simple as that. 🙂 If you’d like to join us, make sure to sign up using the linky below (if you’re not a blogger or you’ll post your updates only on Twitter then make sure to sign up using your Twitter address). If you have any questions or if you’d like to get in touch, feel free to email me or tweet me @bookswithacuppa 🙂
Sign up here
Grab the button
Feel free to grab the challenge button (as seen at the very top of my sidebar) or the banner and display it on your blog so that everyone can see you’re participating. The grab code for the button is:
Happy reading and talk to you soon! 🙂