Hi guys! I have a special guest for you today – Chloe Hooper, author of The Engagement has stopped by Books, Biscuits, and Tea to share her top five favourite mysteries with you. What’s more, I have 3 brand new copies of Chloe’s book to give away courtesy of Random House. But first, please give a warm welcome to our guest. 🙂 Over to you, Chloe.
1. Firstly forgive me for stretching the genre a bit with this list, but in Jane Eyre ol’ Charlotte Brontë does pit our independent-minded heroine against Thornfield Hall, the quintessential Gothic manse full of festering dark secrets and ghosts, past and present. It doesn’t disappoint on rereading.
2. For famous openings who can go past Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca? “Last night I dreamt I went to Manderlay again…. I came upon it suddenly; the approach masked by the unnatural growth of a vast shrub that spread in all directions… There was Manderley, our Manderley, secretive and silent as it had always been, the gray stone shining in the moonlight of my dream.” This classic novel is fantastically readable, and Hitchcock’s film version (for those who can’t quite take some of the sillier parts of du Maurier’s book) is fantastically watchable.
3. The Journalist and the Murderer is Janet Malcolm’s non-fiction account of the clash between American journalist Joe McGinniss and Jeffrey MacDonald, who was convicted of killing his pregnant wife and children. This is a brilliant study of the ethics of journalism, and it works on the reader like a philosophical page-turner.
4. Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. Basically if you haven’t read this, you must.
5. I recently finished Hilary Mantel’s early novel Eight Months on Ghazzah Street. It doesn’t have the power or range of her Cromwellian sagas, but as you read there’s a sense of burgeoning dread that’s incredibly effective.
To be in the chance of winning a brand new copy of The Engagement, just fill in the Rafflecopter below. The giveaway runs until the 14th of January, 2014 and is open internationally. Winners will be drawn at random and notified via email. Good luck! 🙂